|Description: In 1938, Col. Neil
Snyder who was our council camping chairman, suggested that we operate two
summer camps at different times to allow scouts to travel to the camp more
easily. One was to be located back at Crowleys Ridge State Park, site of our
1937 camp and the other near Marrianna. Both were operated for two weeks each.
Robert C. MacNab had come from Jasper, Alabama, to take over as our council executive in January 1938. He stepped forward to serve as camp director for both camps. His staff consisted of thirteen other scouts and leaders. One was noted as long time African-American cook Ike Davis of Helena. Mr. Davis' name comes up in newpaper articles several times over the early years of our camps having served scouting camps as cook before Eastern Arkansas Council existed, and on into the 1950's. He was very popular with the scouts and his image is contained in several old camp photographs. Other staff included John Eldridge, Cyril Garrett, Harold E. Kennamer, Robert Mays, John McKenzie, Hammons Mobley, Bill Morse, Ben Smith, Neil Snyder, Jack Swain, Bill Wiseman and Walter Woody. About 100 scouts attended the camp.
The insigina for Camp Crowley in 1938 was the same as in 1937 except for the year having been updated. Again, this item is considered very rare. Some examples of the patch are marked "Kamp Kia Kima BSA 1941" on the reverse side. At first this seemed a bit confusing until newspaper reports were found that referenced our leasing Kia Kima in 1941. It appears that left over felt patches were reworked for use at Kia Kima.
An example of this patch has been found in the estate of a long-time council leader, marked "Kamp Kia Kima BSA 1941". This example has a greenish felt color (perhaps from fading?) and goldish lettering on the Crowley side. The Kia Kima side yellowish lettering.
|Camp Location: Crowley Ridge State Park, near Paragould,
Dates Operated: June 12 - 25, 1938.
Characteristics: Dark Blue or Green felt; Whitish printing.
|Back to Early Camp Issues Index|
Copyright © 2000-2016
EAAC Historical Preservation Society
Rev 14 Jul 2016 sw